{love, joleen} the blog -->

Thursday, June 29, 2006

{AFF classes}

Tracy Lampe
The first class I took at AFF was "Funky Chunky Yarn Lumps" with Tracy Lampe. I've been wanting to learn to spin my own funky yarn for well over a year now so I was quite excited about this class. It was a fun class and surprisely very easy to learn once you get the hang of it. I felt this class could have been a half day for what you learn but that's okay.. I managed to spin three wee skeins. That night I started a longer one but then my drop spindle broke.. I keep meaning to email her for another. hmph.
Traci Bautista
The second day of classes, I took Traci Bautista's "Butterfly Flower Graffiti Journal". That class was right up my alley with the bright colors. I learned some great techniques and really, it's a freeing class. Tracy encourages you not to think and just to do and I need that. My little 5 lb. Janome Sew Mini worked awesome for this class. The wee sewing machine, by the way, was great for this trip. It's the perfect sewing machine for going back and forth between paper and fabric since $55 is virtually expendable (vs. say $300) plus travelling at only 5 lb. is awesome. I carried mine on the plane but Heather checked hers and it was just fine on the other side. Anyway, I didn't finish my journal (should be a two day class) but I am well on my way. I embellished (beaded) the covers and finished my signature covers (to hold pages) that day and last night I worked on some pages to fill it. Slowly but surely!
DJ Pettitt
The third class I took at AFF was, by far, my favorite. I took "Traveling Chic Purse" with DJ Pettitt. I didn't even come CLOSE to finishing my purse but it was still an amazing class. I learned the most wonderful + useful technique that I can use for other projects too. Oh, and I used my papers I made in Traci's class which was fun and made the projects coordinate! ;) I know it's not terribly PC but DJ was by FAR my favorite teacher and class. She is absolutely amazing. She's a great teacher- fabulous communication and instruction. She is incredibly friendly! She wasn't clique-y like some teachers can be. She treats you like a friend and equal... even as this well known + published artist. She was simply amazing and I'd take a class from her anytime, anywhere.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so green with envy looking and reading about your AFF experience!! How awesome!! Love your bright colors. That yarn.....mama-cita!

5:00 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Thanks so much for posting a bit about your AFF experience. It gives a glimpse to those of us who would not have that opportunity.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Funky Finds said...

Looks like "sew" much fun! I've been eyeing the Sew Mini...after reading your post I think it would be perfect for me! (beginner, wanting to sew paper, etc)

5:56 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

ahhhh.
i'm so envious.
i wish we had this kind
of thing where i am at...
hmmmm.

maybe i could start something.

heehee
:)

6:39 AM  
Blogger Tsoniki said...

Ahh, that looks SO fun! The projects look like they were a blast, I too wish we had something like that around here.

Then again maybe we do - I just haven't looked. LOL

:)

9:31 AM  
Blogger edina said...

Hi Joleen, Thought I'd pop in and say hello! It was great to meet you at AFF. Love the photos you posted from your classes. :)

10:17 AM  
Blogger Bridget M. said...

Looks like you had a fun and productive trip! Wonderful photos. Your blog makes me feel good. So uplifting. Even the funk post. (hugs)

8:30 AM  
Blogger thebutterflycollector said...

this whole adventure looks amazing!!! and very colourful! I'm now off to visit portals as I am very curious about your zine!!!

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! I'd totally enjoy something like this. I imagine it would be a form of stress relief for me. Wish I could find classes like these in my area. Hoping I'd have the time, too, though.

5:27 AM  
Blogger kelly rae said...

i love dj, too. i'm taking her class at art and soul later this year. will you be attending that one???

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at all those colors!!! Very cheerful and inviting.
Sounds like you had the most wonderful time, I know I would have.

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home