{love, joleen} the blog -->

Thursday, January 05, 2006

lets talk about books, baby!

books
I've recieved so many wonderful books in the last couple of weeks, art related & not. I got most of my current wishlist for Christmas and have purchased a few in my last couple of trips to Barnes & Noble. In fact, I met up my Mom at the Irvine Spectrum last night to "give back" my younger sister, Sarah, who had been staying with us since New Year's and we went to the bookstore. Of course, I couldn't come home without a new book (and some fabulous deals from Anthropologie)! I was telling her how much I just love buying new books even though I really have plenty that I haven't read yet. Probably an entire shelf if I actually owned a bookcase. Note to self: Buy a bookcase! Anyway, I finished reading my first book in 2006 on Monday, which I'll tell you all about after a bit.

List of new books/ magazine subscriptions:
Messy Thrilling Life: The Art of Figuring Out How to Live by Sabrina Ward Harrison
Brave on the Rocks: If You Don't Go, You Don't See by Sabrina Ward Harrison
The True And the Questions: A Journal by Sabrina Ward Harrison
Collage Discovery Workshop: Beyond the Unexpected by Claudine Hellmuth
The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More by Karen Michel
♥ A magazine subscription to Cloth.Paper.Scissors and Somerset Studio
True Colors: A Palette of Collaborative Art Journals
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris
A Million Little Piece by James Frey
The Chronicles of Narnia (although not this copy) by C.S. Lewis
Gardenias for Breakfast by Robin Jones Gunn (I read an entire teen series by her when I was young and LOVED it. I've been told this is for adults, though, so that's good. ;) )
♥ Two children's books to add to my growing collect (I may have more then adult books): Alfie's 1 2 3 by Shirley Hughes; Carl Goes to Daycare by Alexandra Day
♥ And purchased last night- My Friend Leonard by James Frey.

I read all of Sabrina's books, within days of recieving them for Christmas. Then I started on A Million Little Pieces, which is also currently THE book on Oprah's Book Club. It was such a great book- honest and hard to read (content not language difficulty). I wish I was good at writing reviews but I'm simply not so I'll just leave it at that. It won't be hard for you to look up it's rave reviews! Although I have this stack full of books to read, I had to go buy the sequel, My Friend Leonard, which I plan on starting it today.

In August I posted a request for good books to read, here. I've read a few of the suggestions so far. I'm always looking for more great suggestions and enjoy a WIDE variety in work. Any more favorites out there?

5 Comments:

Blogger carrie s. said...

I was going to suggest The Time Traveler's Wife, then I opened your link! I agree, it was one of the best books I've ever read, and I too, had to wait a while to digest it before moving on.

I've heard great things about A Million Little Pieces, and am waiting for it to become available at the library. Have you read Running with Scissors and/or Dry by Augustus Bourroughs? Very dysfunctional, but I could't put either down.

I'm between books right now and it's driving me crazy!

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty funny I own all of those books except for 2 of them!
We definately have the same taste in books!
:)Stacie

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun!!! DH gave me some art books for Cmas and I am in heaven. hey---I am having a hard time getting thru to you---are you gettin my emails lately? :)

9:58 PM  
Blogger vicci said...

Hey Joleen....I LOVE BOOKS!!! I am reading "The Historian"....and "1906" which is about the San Francisco earthquake. My Amazon wishlist is getting longer and longer...but I did get "Where Women Create" for Christmas! This is a beautiful book! I just finished "A Million Little Pieces" Did you see the author on Oprah??? Anyway...I could go on and on...I like your blog. Vicci

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim and there were several moments that made me laugh out loud. I loved it. :)

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home