{love, joleen} the blog -->

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

self portrait tuesday- a favorite pastime

self portait tuesday- a favorite pastime
My favorite pastime is reading. I've enjoyed reading since I was able to. As a child I could be found lying on the couch with a book. I would walk with it. It would join me at the dinner table. ("Joleen, put the book down. We're eating.") When I was in trouble I was grounded from reading because that's what I loved to do. In school I was one of those annoying kids that enjoyed every single book we were ever required to read.

Now I go through times where I don't read at all- for months. Then there are times, like now, where I can't seem to get enough. I just finished the book in the photograph (The Time Traveler's Wife) and it was one of the best books I have ever read. I like to wait a little while before starting a new book because I like to think about the previous one. I like to ask myself a million questions. I like to consider what might have happened after.

Tell me about a truly great book that you've read, recently or years ago. I am always looking for a good book!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always read a lot too.

My absolute favourite book ever is A language older than words, by Derrick Jensen. I love his other books as well.

http://www.derrickjensen.org/published.html#lang

3:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my all time favorite books is The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.
Another good on is Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. It sounds strange, a novel about the plague but the language and story are really beautiful. And one I recently read and am still mulling over is Into The Forest by Jean Hegland. A story of two young sisters coming of age when our world as we know it, ends. NOT Sci Fi really, just very thought provoking and again, beautiful language I thought.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a HUGE fan of Barbara Kingsolver, especially her books Prodigal Summer and Animal Dreams - I highly recommend them. Here is my list of recent favorites:
-White Teeth by Zadie Smith
-Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
-The Effects of Light by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore
-Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb (although this has not yet been released in the U.S. - I bought it in Victoria, B.C.)
-A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews

I also love anything by Jack Kerouac and Pam Houston!!

What are YOUR favorites, Joleen?!

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a Kingsolver fan, too. I also love Wally Lamb, Rebecca Wells, Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, and George Orwell. A Fine Balance by Mistry was fantastic.

Love the photo!

8:25 AM  
Blogger molly | mommycoddle.com said...

Your feet look so happy! Right now, I am having a great time reading through a reading list that my husband made for me. It's full of classics new and old, those books you always wish you read, but never did b/c they weren't part of your highschool/college lit class. I just finished Lord of the Flies last night and it really disturbed me, I have to say. But one of my all time favorite books is called, "A Day No Pigs Would Die" by Robert Newton Peck. What I wouldn't give to be able to write like him.
By the way, I love your mom's post.
molly
http://mommycoddle.typepad.com/

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Hotel New Hampshire - John Irving (actually, anything by John gets me off. He's FAB-U-LOUS!)

The Catalpa Tree - Denyse Devlin (awesome awesome book! I read it around the same time I read Time Travellers Wife - really great)

1:35 PM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

girl, i could have written that post myself!!! glad to know that i am not the only one who would read from sun up to sun down!!!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

i lovedlovedloved the time travellers wife. loved it. i could say it a hundred times and it would seem not enough.
i am going to read it again, actually.
sigh....

i am reading tender at the bone by ruth riechl now. it is many stories about the food and people who have cooked that food in her life. very clever and well written!

happy rest-of-the-summer!

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can someone please explain the ending to The Time Travellers Wife?? I loved the book, but dont actually understand how Henry died. Did he time travel back to 1984 and was shot?

3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home