{love, joleen} the blog -->

Friday, April 22, 2005

art in sf

vintage goodies closeup
We had a great day today! This morning we went to a cafe on the corner before walking to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. We spent a lot of the afternoon there. It was so wonderful to see art I've learned about in school books! In one of the pictures below it shows a print I purchased of my favorite painting- Ocean Park #54 by Richard Diebenkorn. I love art, especially paintings but have never had as strong of feelings as evoked by this painting. I suddenly was in the room alone and it just drew me in. I actually teared up. It was overwhelming. It was wonderful. Unfortunately, these prints do it absolutely no justice.
SFMOMA vintage goodies needles and pens goodies community gift shop goodies
After the museum we went to lunch on the corner at Chevy's Fresh Mex Restaurant and then took a bus to the Mission District. It was the first time either of us had been on a public city bus in the U.S., that we could remember. We both have in other countries. Let me tell you, this was not a pleasant experience. I was relived to be able to breathe in fresh air when we got off (nearly 6 blocks too early!). We went to 826 Valencia. It's an awesome little bookshop that's part of a writing center. It is set up like a pirate shop and it's super fun! I bought a fun little glass quill and ink set, that Alex and I have been having a ton of fun with! Another little zine and diy shop that was recommended to us was Needles and Pens and it was so cute!! I am totally smitten with it. We even found some of Sarah's goodies from the small object! In our ventures between the two zine shops we came across a thrift shop where I found a beautifully illustrated children's book and a box of great vintage photographs. There is something really interesting, wonderful, yet sometimes creepy about a box of old photos- when you don't know any of the subjects. :) I ♥ it! Oh! And there's this great vintage store we went to where you buy clothes by the pound! I found a great handmade apron, purse, dress, and a tshirt which I am going to send to lekkner to make me something like totally rad.
826 valencia goodies 826 Valencia 826 inside

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had an amazing day!

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home