{love, joleen} the blog -->

Sunday, May 28, 2006

{thrift scores}

yesterday around noon i sat down to read blogs and didn't even finish this post when i got my purse to go to my parent's new home in apple valley. whoa! what a jaunt that was! it's supposedly 1 hr. 32 min. drive but with the holiday travel it took a whooping 3! it was worth it though. :) nice to see family + my parent's house. then mom and i went to tuesday morning so she could make an exchange + then next door to goodwill.
70's linens
i went straight to the linens in search of good, vintage material. it's so hard to tell these days what's actually vintage and what's a modern replication but tags are usually a good indicator. these tags shared cotton blends that are no longer in use today. my mom guessed that these are all three prints from the 70's. you can view them individually here, here, and here.
vintage blanket
this was a blanket i found that was handmade, i'm pretty sure from two flat sheets. i loved the print of this! there is quite a bit of wear but i do intend to use it if possible. we washed everything before i left last night, and the wash cycle brought out the horrid smell of moth balls, so this one is being air dried in her backyard (provided it didn't blow away last night during high winds).
vintage children's books
there was a whole lot of these children's books. i wish i could have bought more. these two stuck out at me most with their fabulous colors and sweet illustrations. the entire set is in fabulous condition, most of them still with the book jackets! the copyrights on these two are 1958 + '59.
skirt
this was definitely THE find of the trip. i'm not exactly sure how i ended up with it seeing as my mom actually found it and is quite fond of it herself. it's a handmade skirt with hand embroidered panels. i was hoping to actually wear it if i ever lost this extra weight but when sarah tried it on for me to shoot, it was clear that this will never actually happen. i'm not sure what we'll do with it yet. maybe just hang it up (in it's entirety) for display? maybe cut the panels and use it in a quilt? below are details of most of the panels. more from the thrift store another time...
skirt - detail

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, what great finds! I'm so loving the last vintage sheet with the ferns and butterfly -swoon-

And there is more? What is that teaser "more from the thrift store another time" !?!?

Have a great time with your family this holiday weekend.

6:45 PM  
Blogger aunt kim said...

I too am not a trift store shopper (I donate all of the time :) but I do have to say that you have an amazing eye for great finds. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking!

Can't wait to see what you end up making with the skirt. I am sure whatever it is will turn out beautifuly.(sp)

Have fun creating!

7:47 PM  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

what amazing finds...you have inspired me to get my self to goodwill for fabric. what a wonderful idea. and now that i have my sewing machine i can actually sew them together to make something - yipppeeee!!!
i wonder about turning that skirt into a apron of some sort...i don't know.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I love, love, love to see thrift store finds!! Please post more anytime!! I wish thrift stores were open today!!! Maybe next weekend I can hit some!

5:52 AM  
Blogger amy said...

I L*O*V*E that skirt. I wish I could have it. I hope you don't end up cutting it...it's just too wonderful to be cut. Maybe you should sell it...to me! :)

Amy

6:32 AM  
Blogger ROXY MARJ said...

Oh im so envious of the fern & butterfly fabric you found! My family had a picnic table cloth of that exact print in green the has gotten lost over the years and I really miss it ~ :/ Also those books you got, I have the same one [blue one] that was turned into a journal w/ 1/3 of the pages still intact, made by exlibrisanonymous.com *great finds*

7:11 AM  
Blogger navylane said...

great treasures! i especially love those fabrics in the first photo!

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home