{love, joleen} the blog -->

Saturday, July 08, 2006

WIP: new studio

WIP: new studio
the ultimate work in progress (WIP): unpacking + organizing my new studio. that fabulous hand-dyed + handspun yarn was purchased from tracie lampe when i took her class at AFF. i purchased those fat metal needles and many of the trinkets (clip on earrings, buttons, pins/brooches, hair charms, etc.) at the fremont flea market when i spent the day with heather + sharon.
WIP: new studio
i literally rescued the shelf on the left from the dumpster at our old apartment in huntington beach. i saw it as i pulled up from work and akwardly carried it up 4 flights of stairs. ha! i've basically just stored it the last couple of years but when i moved it into my new room i realized it'd be perfect for displaying my fatbooks! i really love it! i made the yarn in the jars but haven't set the spin yet. i'm not sure i ever will- i kind of like the way it looks there. :) i purchased that awesome glitter "j" at a really cool store at the airport in seattle that sells artwork. it's made with german glass glitter which we all know is the best. ;) i clipped on one of the earrings i purchased at the fleamarket.. i hope to use the others on some of my art journals or collages. at artFIBERfest there is this room where everyone takes their purged supplies to share with others. i got some buttons, fabric remnants (some in the photograph below), and this doll here. what you don't see because it's behind the "dolls" flashcard (also purchased at fleamarket) is that this poor doll is missing an arm. she was so sad and sorry looking that i just had to adopt her. i do think she enjoys her new home.
WIP: new studio
lastly, (for now) here is my fabric stash. i got these little rolling shelves from target. there is this amazing store in issaquah, washington called pacific fabrics + crafts and while we were up there, they had a 20% off sale. oh, it was heaven. i came home with lots of the most yummy fabric by denyse schmidt with the intention of making summer skirts + my first quilt. and speaking of quilting... keep your eyes peeled for a new swap in the next couple of days.

ps- 10 more spots in the {hot pink + orange} fatbook!

9 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I so love coming here just for the bright colorful pictures!! they always make me happy. Looks like you found some cool stuff, I love that yarn.

3:45 PM  
Blogger edina said...

What a perfect way to display fatbooks! And I love that little turquoise typewriter. :)

5:23 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

oh my! it looks wonderful already! wow!

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your studio is beautiful. I'm intrigued about your mention of something quilt-related coming up ... I'm definately tuning in for further reports!!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Heather Simpson-Bluhm said...

Looking cute! Can't wait to see it in person and make a mess!

10:27 PM  
Blogger kelly rae said...

oh, your studio is getting me all excited to unpack my own in another week or so! and i love that purse you made up there!

4:52 PM  
Blogger A COLLAGE A DAY said...

Dumpster shopping can be great. My favorite things come from there.

r.

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am loving your Flickr, your blog and all this inspiration.

And...I grew up in Huntington Beach!

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, I think IKEA is no longer making the pink boxes with the metal around it . . .now it has the cream stitching instead . . . grrrrr .. I knew I should have bought the pink box collection back in the summer . . . By the way, your studio is WONDERFUL . . .

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home