{love, joleen} the blog -->

Friday, January 13, 2006

{beading in art}

beads
For the last couple of weeks I've been introducing beading to my mixed media artwork. I've created chunkybook pages with beaded embellishments, paper bag books with beaded binding, and a pretty bottle with a beaded topper (that I'll show you as soon as it's completed). The work is often extensive but the payoff has been wonderful. I feel such a sense of accomplishment and reward when I've completed beading something. This probably stems from the amount of time and effort that goes into these projects.
bead bindings
These funky paper bag books don't take much time at all. They're unique, fun, & bright. I love 'em! It all started with that very top one. I was at work and wanting to art. I brought no supplies from home so I searched for things to use. I found paper bags, birthday wrapping paper, newspapers, foil, and children's acrylic paint. Heather challenged me to use these supplies and an image she sent, to create something. This was my original creation. Later I was able to go by my house and gather a small tote of supplies and fun embellishments. Then I went to the craft store and bought floral wire (it's cheaper & you get more!). I punched the side and beaded the binding. Here is the finished product and a close-up of the binding. As you can see, I liked it so much, I made 3 more! These books are plain (but for the binding) so far.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joleen! What a wicked cool idea! I have a bjillion beads lying around, so now I HAVE to try it! I've been waiting to see some jewelry from you, so this is like book jewelry. Gorgeous!

Erin from erinelizabethjewelry

6:21 PM  
Blogger OfficeTYPE said...

Those look so nice - I love the dressed up little children!

4:33 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

just the inspiration i needed...
now where did i put my daughters
stash of beads?
heehee
:)
i love them by the way!

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are so lovely.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Shell said...

So very creative! They'd make fabulous little gifts for loved ones. I think they're just gorgeous.

2:37 PM  
Blogger kelly a said...

so very fun and colorful Joleen...can't ever have enough beads! I'm working on my vintage valentine this weekend; now i wonder, beads or no beads??? Oh...and I've tagged you (check my blog)! :)

8:16 PM  
Blogger Sandrine (alias Didine ♥ ) said...

These beads are amazing and adding them to your mixed media art is a huge idea !! I love it !!! It's been so long without your news ! I hope everything is cool for you ! Have a great day ! smooches ;o)

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey joleen where did you get them colourful beads i've been looking for some for ages....great blog by the way :)

2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home