{love, joleen} the blog -->

Friday, August 25, 2006

{summer reading} part ii

{summer reading} part 2
This week I read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold and The Pact by Jodi Picoult. Both books were excellent stories of love, life, and death. They were about family. I didn't intend to read two books so similar in theme and didn't even realize they were until I started writing this post. The Lovely Bones was recommended to me by an employee of Barnes & Nobel. She asked me if I'd heard of it and was surprise that I hadn't. She told me that I looked like the type of person who would enjoy it. Not sure what she meant, and entirely curious about what a stranger thought I might enjoy, strictly on 'looks' alone, I bought it. I was not disappointed. It was disturbing + haunting, the way some great books are. It was also incredibly touching. The Pact stood out to me on the table of Bestsellers because I had read another of Jodi Picoult's books just last week. Although I had enjoyed Vanishing Acts, I liked The Pact even more. I felt so connected to the characters in the book that at times I felt their pain too much and had to remind myself that I was reading! I am looking forward to reading more of her books in the near future.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dreamer said...

I was about to read "The Lovely Bones" but ended up reading "Lucky" instead, which is Alice Sebold's bio about her real life rape. I heard it's more graphic than the other one (since it took place and all) but it was pretty good. I miss reading, I haven't done in in a long time.

Seeing you read so much inspires me to start again!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Heather Simpson-Bluhm said...

Too bad I didn't know you hadn't read The Lovely Bones as I have it. Oh well. I will have to read the Pact when you are done. As you know, I am reading the Time Traveler's Wife. I just started on Wed and am halfway thru right now which is a huge accomplishment for me and my reading schedule.. or lack thereof. Who needs sleep!?

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home